Eugene Chartreux Early 1900s Lyons, France 4/4 Violin
Built between 1900 and 1925 by Eugene Chartreux in Lyons, France.
Chartreux worked in Lyons during those years making violins expressly for Beare & Son in London. [Beare & Son grew out of the first violin wholesaler in Britain. The original company, Beare Goodwin opened in London in 1865. In 1892, soon after the wholesale company changed its name to Beare & Son, the family opened a violin retail shop, J. & A. Beare. Both businesses achieved international recognition. Beare & Son still operates as a violin wholesaler.]
This violin, originally sold through Beare & Son, has a more complex voice than many French instruments of its calibre.
It has a dark brown varnish finish.
The solid carved spruce top is medium uniform grained.
The maple in the solid carved back, the ribs and neck has wide flame.
While it has several professional repairs and appears to have been French polished, is in good condition: repaired crack at A peg (crack does not completely penetrate peg box wall), repaired cracks in upper treble rib, two significant dings in treble side of top, wear consistent with an instrument that is approximately 100 years old.
This violin comes with information about Chartreux from Henley & Woodcock's Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers.