The G&L ASAT® Classic ‘S’ is a factory-modded version of Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. First created in 2004 by the G&L Custom Creations team, the ASAT Classic ‘S’ later joined the line as a standard model in 2008.
The basic idea for this kind of arrangement has been long established in the Nashville session player scene, where players often install a Strat® middle pickup in the middle position of a Telecaster® and swap the 3-position pickup selector with a 5-way unit.
Back in 2004, The G&L Custom Creations Department dediced to build an instrument similar to the formula adopted by the Nashville guys but with a distinctly G&L flavor with ASAT Classic MFD pickups in place of Alnico Tele® pickups, and the S-500 MFD in place of the Strat pickup. The CCD team decided to ice the cake with a push/pull tone pot that functions the same way as the S-500’s mini-toggle switch, enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together for a unique sonic depth that G&L players love.
The “S” designation comes from both internal designation for this instrument, due to its use of the S-500 middle pickup, and “Session” in homage to the origin of this guitar configuration.
G&L ASAT Classic S Electric Guitar
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ single coils
- BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes, Alder on Standard Finishes
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic with 9 1/2" radius
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: traditional boxed-steel bridge with individual brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull pickup expansion enabling neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together
- CASE: Yes
- COLOR: Blonde